Squirrel bog? YUCK

Hello World!

I have officially made it through my first 6 months of teaching! To seemingly everyone else's surprise, I have no intentions of running away or losing my mind. I'd say it has been pretty successful.

I graduated from Coastal Carolina University in May 2012. Throughout the summer, I applied to approximately 50 school positions in 4 states. I interviewed for 5 positions in person, 1 via Skype, and 1 over the phone. By the end of July, I became so frustrated that I started looking into other jobs. Then the magical phone call came offering me a position. I eventually accepted and here we are today!

If 9 months ago, you had asked me if I could see myself teaching in rural North Carolina, I would have laughed in your face and said "Not this city girl!" Now I know all about hunting dove, ducks, and deer, and eating squirrel bog (still not this city girl). As much as I think I have taught this year, my students have taught me much more.

I am teaching 5th grade math and science to 50 brilliant children. We have definitely had our ups and downs throughout the school year. Some days, I wouldn't be able to make it through the day without one of their "I love you Miss Schmidt" or bear hugs. They definitely keep me going.

I hope to use this blog as a tool for recent graduates looking for a job and also to share my creations with active teachers!



Labels: , ,